Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

Departure

I am sitting in the airport waiting for my flight to America.
I am overcome with exhaustion. I'm not sure if it's from packing up my entire apartment alone in the summer heat, a week full of going away parties and sad goodbyes, or if the on-the-go lifestyle I've somehow maintained for the past 12 months has finally caught up with me. I think it must be a combination.

As I tiredly paced through security, the woman asked for my computer in German and I handed it to her, then she asked for my boarding pass in German, saw my US Passport and quickly switched to English. I said, "alles gut, ich spreche deutsche und English!" And, for some reason, that little conversation really struck me with how much has changed in my life in the past year. And I know it all sounds so cliche. And Sure, I have gained experience and traveled to new places, but I have also acquired the confidence to establish a life for myself in a new country, learn the language, and make friends. And, with that realization, I was proud of myself.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment