Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Birthdays: My Style

I am really not a big fan of my birthday. I love celebrating friends' birthdays, but not my own. I feel like its kinda like New Years Eve for me...always a lot of hype and you end up sad because it was a let down. I also do not like being the center of attention, so even when my sweet friends and family do nice things to celebrate me, I am always a little uncomfortable. So, in recent years, I have devised a plan that suits me perfectly for my day of birth. And this year was perfect.

It all started three years ago when I was working at Camp DeSoto and they happened to celebrate the 4th of July (my favorite holiday) on June 30th. It was a fantastic day...and I realized that the best way to celebrate is to have an exceptionally fun day planned, but not anything that was particularly me-focused or birthday related. The next year, I miraculously swung it to see Mumford and Sons in Hyde Park, London on June 30th. Last year, all my friends were in town for a wedding, so we spent the day relaxing in my backyard pool with margaritas, before heading off to the wedding where I caught the bouquet. So, this year, I devised a plan to be in the glamourous South of France visiting family friends.
 

I originally did not even want to tell them it was my birthday, but I forgot that I was already Facebook friends with the boys, so they knew and all gave me their well wishes! But, it was just an amazing day of attending church in their beautiful 16th century church, walking around the vibrant town of Aix, visiting the gallery, french sandwiches with fun French company for lunch, walking their pet horse by Mount Saint Victorie, an afternoon nap, a delicious dinner on the terrace, all while having incredible and thought-provoking conversation. It was just one of those days that you could relive a thousand times and never get enough of...so what more could I ask for on my birthday?!
  



And of course, all the sweet cards from home, the instagrams, the snap chats, the cake from my students, the texts and happy wishes from friends and family afar all made the day that much better!
  

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment