Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Mannheim Mai Markt

Yesterday I went to the May Market in Mannheim which is a bigger town nearby...it was quite the experience. It felt like the state fair meets Oktoberfest meets an international festival meets a car show...and it had a museum vibe going on too. It was quite the mix of events, but it was entertaining to explore. Unfortunately it was rainy and gross out, so I didn't stay super long, but I got a feel from the melting pot of booths.



  

One of things I have absolutely loved about living in Europe has been the abundance of markets. My favorite part is always tasting all the foods! But, seriously, I love buying fruits and vegetables at markets, experiencing the cultural ones, and getting in the holiday spirit at the festive ones. 


Mai Markt, however, was not my favorite. It was massive, for one thing. It really just had too much going on for my tastes. One cool part, though, was that they were celebrating 400 years. This market began in 1613! And while that seems young compared to last weekend's historical sights, this exact market was going on before America was even a country. Wow.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment