Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Happy Faschings!

Faschings is the German version of Mardi Gras...It is quite the celebration!
Yes, that is a family of giraffes. My personal favorite.

Yesterday I went with my American neighbors to the local parade. It was hilarious. If you know me at all, you know I absolutely love costumes. So I was excited when I heard everyone dressed up for the parades...I could have stayed there people watching all day. Unfortunately I was limited to the school's costume closet, so I wore a dragon mask.
  

 Everyone from newborn babies to old folks were decked out in every kind of costume you can imagine. This little dinosaur was just too cute.


The floats in the parade were similar to Mardi Gras...but every single person on them was, you guessed it, in full costume. And instead of throwing beads, they threw candy and airplane bottles of alcohol (The Germans love a good party!). We had prime position and the parade, and because I was holding little Julian aka Spiderman, I actually had a valid reason to dive for candy. The day was hilarious and such a fun, authentic German experience.


Some schools are given the whole week off, but the dragon school is only off today and then tomorrow they come for our very own Faschings parade. Stay tuned for tomorrows festivities, too!
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment