Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Traveling Trauma...

I would classify Kate, Lisa, and myself as all pretty seasoned travelers. We all live in Europe and manage to travel and get around well for the most was quite an exception.

Firstly, we woke up too tired to make our 8:15 am appointment at the Ufitzi we opted for some extra sleep before our day of travel to Istanbul. That was strike one.

We finally dragged ourselves out of bed, ate a good breakfast at the hostel, packed our bags, and we were on our way to the train station.

The train was hectic...we couldn't find seats anywhere so we just crashed in first class and luckily we were all three asleep when the guy came to check tickets so we got to stay. We had another weird incident with a guy trying to steal my purse but fortunately he wasn't discreet at all and Kate happened to be awake so that crisis was averted.

When we finally got to Rome, we needed to catch a bus to the airport. After a crazy Italian lady told us it was impossible, we came across the most energetic man of all time who put us on the bus without a problem. We realized when we were about to get on the bus that our flight left 40 minutes LATER than we thought, which was literally a gift from God.

So we get on the bus finally, and the ride was equally as bad (if not worse) than the boat to Capri. Lisa and I both got to pleasure of seeing our breakfasts again. And it somehow ended up taking almost an hour to get to the airport. Needless to say, it was a miserable ride.

By the time we got to the airport, we had exactly an hour til our flight left. All three of us were feeling sick, which just is not how you want to feel when you need to hurry. Just after having to beg and cut the security line, we hear the loud speaker announce our final boarding call. We all three took off at a dead sprint through the airport, but thankfully Kate is in good enough shape to sprint the whole time (of course our gate was the last one in the furthest terminal...) but Kate got there in time so we all made it. We even had time to get drinks since we were all out of breath (see picture). And, the worst part of the whole thing was, even after our running and vomming trying to get there, tons of people strolled up after us and still got on the flight, so our stress was basically for nothing.

And, the craziness didn't even stop there. the flight was basically like a party...people just casually walked around the entire time. The pilot came on the intercom twice to tell everyone to remain seated during take off and people still didn't sit down. all three of us were just baffled by the whole thing.

But despite all the travel craziness, the combination of trains, buses, and the sketchy Pegasus airlines did finally get us safely to Turkey. I can't wait to experience this new culture and country...and I am sure that the three of us have plenty more adventures awaiting us in Istanbul.


No comments:

Post a Comment