Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Special Ministry

Since returning to Nashville this past summer, I have had the unique privilege to be a part of the Special Needs Ministry at Christ Presbyterian Church. My parents have been involved for a few years because it is headed up by their dear friend, Gigi Sanders. I have the utmost respect for her and her caring, compassionate heart that inspires her to reach out and show love to these families. While I am certain it is a blessing to the families and children with Special Needs, it is a blessing to those of us who get to volunteer and develop relationships with these precious kids.

This summer, I was able to be a part of the Very Special Bible School, which was a three day camp for Special Needs kids. My buddy that week, William, who I absolutely adore, has remained my buddy for Sunday School this year.

During the school year, Special Saturdays occur each month so that the parents of the kids with special needs can have a break, and we entertain, play games, read Bible stories, do crafts, and eat snacks together for a few hours. It is exhausting in the best possible way. I usually get to be William's buddy for Special Saturdays too, but I have come to know and love lots of the kids that attend regularly. 

I just love this ministry for so many reasons. First of all, it is reaching a group of people that, even by churches, are often ignored. Second of all, it is, like so many service opportunities, just as much of a blessing to those serving as it is to those being served. Thirdly, it is, in my opinion, refreshingly wonderful to build loving, long-term relationships with people whom you serve alongside. 
 
This ministry is incredible and I am grateful to be able to a part of it.
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment