Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day

I know, I know…the cliche Father's Day posts are out of control. And I should appreciate my dad every day of the year. And I really do. I cherish our Sunday afternoon lounges in my bed under the skylight. I love swinging by his office during the week and the clipart pictures he texts me on the reg. But, today, I want to share a little more about what a difference Carlyle has made in the person that I am today.

Pooch is the man who has raised four kids, who were born in a span of five years, and constantly been there to encourage, forgive, coach, and support us along the way. You have shelled out more cash than anyone ever should have spent…but you have taught us to spend money on the good things in life. To not skimp on education and experience, but that "money doesn't grow on trees". And I am grateful for that.

I still remember sitting in my dorm room bed with tears streaming down my face the first time I read this article about Dad's adding life to their daughters' years. And, fortunately, they were tears of gratitude. I was amazed by how my dad had accomplished the vast majority of these items. The tears were filled with sweet memories and thankfulness that I have an earthly father who is a great example of who my heavenly father is. And I am grateful for that.

A father who loves to sit around and talk. He loves to enjoy good meals. He has fostered a sense of adventure in all four of us that has shaped the people we have become today. And I am grateful for that.

He is the dad who loves exercise. Who coached every sports team and still asks me about my (non existent) workouts. And who loves me despite my lack of athletic ability. And I am grateful for that.

A father with an incomparable sense of humor. Although some of his jokes aren't even worthy of a laugh, it is his fun loving personality that draws others in and and keeps the entire family always up to something entertaining. And I am grateful for that.

 
It is his worth ethic that is inspiring. Whether it is running marathons, "retiring" only to become a CEO, or constantly coming to my house for repairs, Pooch is always passionate about whatever project he is currently working on. And I am grateful for that.

 And his love of traveling. While he has bankrolled more trips than I can count which I truly do appreciate, it is the fact that he will travel any amount of miles to see us that is inspiring. I am thankful to live a quick 10 minute drive from my parents currently, I am confident that I could move across the world and my dad would be there to visit me. And I am grateful for that.

I love the ways we are similar. Your love of costumes, sugary drinks, naps, and meals out have certainly been passed down to me. Your inability to sleep at night and your terribly weak stomach have been inherited too, but I'll forgive you.... And I am still grateful for that.

I almost can't forgive you for the fact that Aunt Bea will always be the favorite child, but since she's cute and wasn't around til y'all were "empty nesters", I guess I can let it slide. And I am still grateful for her.

But it is the intangible qualities that make you an amazing father. It is the qualities that cannot be captured in pictures. The fact that I can call you with any concern at any hour and I know that you will still love me. The compassionate, patient example of loving kindness. The example of asking for forgiveness when you have made mistakes. The example of love that you have set with 34 year of marriage. The love of our heavenly father that you have shared and exemplified. And it is those things that I will be eternally grateful.

Happy Father's Day, Pooch.
I love you. 
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment